EASEL DOES IT!

Happy Sunday to you! 

I've been at the easel cards again and this time it's all about Craftwork Cards. It's a longer post from me today as I've made 6 different cards this week - from a tiny ATC all the way up to a very large triple easel card. 

1. ATC Easel designed using Christmas Cheer. I don't know if you're meant to make easel card ATC's but it was fun making this little cutie!


Here I've demonstrated just how small this is. 


2. This is a  3 x 3 inch Easel Card designed using Birds & Blooms and took about 10 minute using the leftover paper from my other card creations.



 3. 6 x 6 Easel Card designed using Birds & BloomsOnce again I have opted to make a simply designed card which took no more than 25 minutes from start to finish (although I used a heat gun to dry the Stickles). For this card, the only other item used was Stickles, Star Dust. The topper on the base has been converted into a card, so there is room for your message inside. Not wanting to over-complicating the simplicity of this design, I had to pause for a moment to work out how to attach the two base sentiments. I'd recently made a series of mini cards for added interest as part of a larger card design and so adopted that approach here. They simply fold down flat with the card. Dead simple and so effective! I've taken a photo to show you how simple it is - and can be modified to suit toppers or anything else you want to make a card into. ;) The 1.5 inch mini card blank is small enough for all the sentiments in Birds & Blooms, taking into account the slight variation to shape.


4. 6 x 6 inch Triple Easel Card designed using Birds & Blooms. Another variation on the easel card is this very large triple decker. The card base is constructed in the exactly the same way. The only thing to mention is that with this design, there is a hangover for each layer and you would need to put this in a 8x8 envelope. I prefer to make boxes for these larger cards as they are so dimensional and you wouldn't want to squish them. There are three card blanks - 6 x 6, 5 x 5, and 4 x 4 to complete the construction on this design. I decorate all three bases separately and then glue them down.


This card uses more embellishments and paper but also requires at least one hour of time (that's my speed but I'm not a quick crafter). I was talking to my friend and fellow CWC DT, Nicky Gilburt a few days ago about this exact same thing. We all like a quick and simple card which can be given to family and friends or made in those emergency situations ( I have a teenage son who always does this to me - like, mom, can you  make 8 different Birthday cards asap. True story!). Some people like plain and some want something a little special. This card uses lots of lace, twine, buttons, sequins, Stickles, Glossy Accents, Liquid Pearls - and of course plenty of papers and toppers which has been cut into, cut out and decoupaged, not to mention the sentiments and Candi.


And the completed card looks like this: 


5. 4 x 4 Triple Easel Card designed using Birds & Blooms. I've presented the 6 x 6 card first as this next card requires a little more time and is a slight variation. At 1 hour 10 mins, you will need some patience but it's totally worth it in the end. Although it's only 4 x 4'ish, it's quite simply gorgeous! I've added lots of papers, toppers and sentiments just as I have in card #4 but this is much more dimensional and definitely needs it's own special box (which is next weeks project). The reason I say 4 x 4 'ish is because the base has been elongated slightly so it's perfectly symmetrical when flat (you can see the difference between this base and the one above).


As well as all your standard papers, toppers and embellishments - Stickles, ribbon, pearls, twine, gauze, natural fibers and a stick pin was used.

Another small tweak was to the middle easel - it's been cut down to show the entire 'Love' topper in the background and ensure the little bird sits at just the right height. Additionally, the front easel is not centred to create maximum visibility when upright.


6. 5.5 x 5.5 inch Circle Easel Card designed using Birds & Blooms. For my last design, we've moved away from standard square card blanks and opted for a circle easel card. My card base has been made out of a circle die (any will do) but you can use anything round as long as it's the right size to trace around and cut out with a scalpel ( I use Swann Morton No 4 handle with a No 11 scalpel - as it has a curved blade). My first photo is of the design when it's folded flat. I wanted to show just how flat you can make them (although I have the roses in the front for added dimension. If you omitted the flowers or swapped them with non dimensional ones you could easily pop this in a regular envelope.


I used plain magenta card stock for all my outer layers (although the card base is white), and Birds & Blooms papers, toppers and sentiments; with oodles of Stickles, ribbons, brads, natural elements and distress inks. Then hand laid and glued down each individual pearl on the entire card as they were not self adhesive.  The ribbon was twisted and held in place with a hot glue gun and drew a template for the roses then hand cut each one.

The most exciting aspect of this card for me is that the teacup and bird are not only decoupaged but pop up! Remember my earlier photo where the cards was flat? Well, you can see just how dimensional you can make these easel cards without incurring hefty postage costs.


Phew, I bet you're glad that's over! ;)

I've loved making these cards and can't wait to try the same concept out again on a new shape next month.

Have a restful Sunday afternoon.

Yours faithfully
Jennifer xx

2 Comments

  1. Hi Jennifer all your cards are gorgeous. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. I think you're the only one who ever reads my blog posts. It's so appreciated! haha x Have a great week.

      Delete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top