Tonic Dreams Mixed Media Canvas

Hello and a very happy day to you all!  
If somebody says you have too many dies, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. 
I have some very exciting news I'd like to share with anyone who is willing to listen - Tonic Studios have asked me to join their Blog Team! Seriously, this is one of the coolest crafting companies going and it's such a privilege to be considered! 

I am delighted to present you with my first Tonic project : Dream - A Mixed Media Canvas.
Tonic Products Used: 
Tonic Studios Expressions Inspirations 1 Die Set - Dream
Nuvo Acrylic White Paint 997N
The projects starts with a small square deep canvas (8"x8") and a random facial stencil to which I applied texture paste onto the canvas.
The canvas was then blue washed with a Clean Colour pen watercolour wash. 
Wanting to add a punch of colour, I mixed up a small spray bottle of Turquoise Brusho and and sprayed, also flattening some of the texture paste as I wanted a smoother surface.
  The Gerbera Daisy, Simply Screens Honeycomb and Deco Trellis were die cut with mirror paper card to make a sturdy stencil used randomly over the canvas, using a mixture of Gesso and Nuvo White Acrylic Paint.
I then cut out a heap of Spellbinder Roses Die Cuts with ivory Mulberry Paper. 
Additionally, I used watercolour paper to die cut the Dream expression sentiment 8 times and the Laura Butterfly and Fern Leaf three times each.   
In my stash I had some stamen, berries, a small resin frame and very small paper flowers which I added to my slowly building pile of treasure! Once all the flowers were assembled, I covered everything with a very thin layer of White Nuvo Acrylic Paint and Gesso. With hot glue I began to build my canvas. I added more white paint mix but also went in with a very small brush and added some of my brusho spray mixed with gesso. I did this a couple times.  
Up close, you can see the turquoise Brusho, Nuvo Acrylic Paint and Glitter effect. 
Here is a glimpse of some of the die cut stencils I used. 
Another view of the built up canvas with the Beautiful Blooms Die Cut used as a stencil in the bottom left corner and top right.
Once dry I went over all the flowers, leaves, sentiment and butterflies with Funky PVA Glue and covered it generously with NUVO Diamond Glitter. Once dry I dabbed Gesso over some of the flowers where the paint was too vibrant and then attached the Dream sentiment, added a bow and a small button and some miniature LED lights to complete my project. 

Completed canvas without LED Lights
Some closer detail with the LED lights switched on:
More detail and stenciling work visible from this angle. 


Completed canvas with LED lights
The project is effective with and without the lights and is a personal achievement for me. Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this blog post and more importantly my project. I have lots of exciting projects coming up and cannot wait to share more with you. 

All the best for 2017 - it really has started off with a bang for me! 
Lots of love and hugs 
Jennifer  x


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top