Distress me once, twice, ink me thrice!

Hola!

No beautiful projects today, only a big fat mess in the hopes that some of you might want to make big fat messes too! haha 



This is a bit of an inky journey with some Reveal It Mats from the Stamp It II Collection from Craftwork Cards and then making a distressed background. The reason this is a different kind of blog is that, as a DT for CWC, I was asked numerous times how to use these mats and if I could go through some of the types of pens etc which work on them. 



Inky materials used: 
Altenew Inks, Momento Inks, Distress Inks, Gelatos, Spectrum Noirs, ProMarkers, Tsukineko Neon Pigment Inks, Distress Crayons, Kuretake Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Watercolour Brush Pens, Lindy's Stamp Gang Ink Magicals Flat Set Hawaiian Islands, Colourcraft Brusho Crystal Colour and I've even thrown in some Colour Cloud Inks.
1. Brusho. I quite liked this effect but was worried too much water would damage the Reveal It Mats so left it gritty looking.

2. The Magicals went on really really well and was pleased with the blendability. 

3. Clean Colour Brush Pens were hard work and didn't blend too well, however they looked vibrant and could easily be used under a topper. 

4. The Gelatos surprised me and blended really well. I shall be using these again and again as the colours I have are bright and look fab. 

5. The Spectrum Noirs were a disaster. They do not blend AT ALL and streak and leave an ugly mess. Avoid.
6. Although the Tsukineko Neon Pigment Inks look messy the outcome was wonderful. The Pigment inks have a lot of colour and what a dream to blend. If you get some blue roll or tissue, rub the Mats to wipe away excess ink. You're left with a great background mat. Repeat for a more vivid colour.
7. Having failed with the SN's I was happy to see that the ProMarkers worked really well! They needed a good rub and a few layers to blend but I think the colour is beautiful. 

8. The Altenew Inks were an absolute dream to use and blend. Again, I was surprised at how easy they were to use and I would definitely recommend these.  

9. I've thrown in some Cosmic Shimmer Colouor Cloud that I found in ny desk drawer (oops! haha). It glided on, however a LOT of ink came off and didn't blend too well. As you can see, it just covered up the yellow and left two slightly different shades of blue instead! If you're going for single colour this is the ink to use as it literally took seconds, otherwise don't bother as you'll end up with one colur any way.
10. I was expecting the Momento Inks to blend better than they did. It was an awful lot of hard work to get the colours blended, which is why I've taken so many pictres for you to see. The end result was ok but not worth the 10 mins it took! Compare that witht he Cosmic Shimmer above (I know it's a different shade) that only took 10 seconds and you can see why I wouldn't use these again.
11. Distress Inks were amazing for colour, coverage and blendability. Highly recommended and my go to inks for the Reveal Its Mats.
12. last but certainly not least were the Distress Crayons. I didn't think they would work as they are water activated and thought they would turn into a puddle of mess. I sprayed each area carefully with a little water and gently rubbed in a circular motion with some soft tissue and this worked a treat! I went in a couple more times in localised areas and this time didn't spritz, just rubbed with tissue and this enhanced the colour even more. The finish was perfectly blended and you can add layers of colour for a more intense look if you want. Another winner and highly recommended.
Both Stamp It and Stamp It II Collections had Distress It Mats but what if you wanted to make your own? Let me show you how easy it is...
To start I grabbed some Distress and Momento Inks, lightest first and used CWC Plain white card stock cut 5.25" x 5.25".  With my Mini Ink Blending Tool, I began inking the card in a circular motion in the exact same way as number 11 above, slowly building up the colours.
Once dry, I took a small watercolour brush and dipped it in clean water and flicked over the inked card. You can let dry naturally or use a heat gun. I repeated this 4 times and then inked the edges again for the final finish.
 Distressed backgrounds are quite effective and I love making them. 
Time to get your ink on, ladies. 
Have a super day and happy crafting!
Lots of love
Jennifer xx




0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top