Adding Interest to Your Watercolored Cards


Hi friends
I've been using my Altenew Watercoloring Color Book throughout May and have had a blast! It’s a great way to cut costs if you don't want to buy a ton of stamp sets and I really hope we see more books like this in the craft world. 
Adding Interest to Your Watercolor Card

As this is the last in my mini series I wanted to design this weeks card with added interest and to use my watercolor pencils to try and get some good depth. I've used a mixture of pencils from the Tonic Studios Nuvo range. These are excellent mid-level and cost friendly pencils, which come in a huge array of colors. The key to light and depth is layering color. This may take a little more time but the outcome is beautiful. Below is a work in progress photo of the image.

Initially, I thought to use a stencil as an added element but after I’d colored in the image, I used a 0.3 waterproof fineliner to create some simple lines with a ruler. 

Although this is a very simple addition, it breaks up the white space around the floral image and gives a secondary focus.

Once everything was dry, I added some Peacock Feathers Distress spray around the image to make it pop. To finish, I used white gesso, black ink and Peacock Feathers for splatter...always too much splatter. lol

I die cut the thanks and stamped the love sentiments, and attached them to my panel, then popping it all onto an A2 watercolor card base.
I hope you've enjoyed my watercolor journey this month with the Altenew Coloring Book. I've made some mistakes along the way but have also built a few new skills and knowledge base regarding color, paper, brushes, light and depth.
Thanks so much for joining me and I'll see you soon!
Some links I use are affiliated, which means I make a small commission when you purchase through them. As a small blogger, I am so grateful for all your support and encouragement. 

Lots of Love
Jen xx 

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top